Friday, August 15, 2008

Lions and tigers and bears- oh my!

It recently came to my attention that Fat Rock and I are collectors. How did this happen? We are young, fairly attractive, and perhaps marginally hip. I blame the tea.

Fat Rock and I are both tea drinkers. I grew up in a tea drinking house, with Frank only drinking coffee on the job. Fat Rock grew up with coffee, but converted in college. Sounding a lot like the religion post, isn’t it? In any case, we have a large selection of tea cups, tea pots, and a snazzy new tea kettle.

Our favorite tea is Red Rose. http://www.redrosetea.com/ It’s just your basic issue black tea. Not chi-infused whatever. But it comes with the bonus of a collectible figurine. They are tiny little ceramic figurines, mostly animals. Just the right size for a child’s shelf. Growing up, we had a large box of these stored under the TV. There was discussion of using them for favors at the wedding, but we are selfish and didn’t want to share.

So, I guess we started out as hoarders. Just recently, we found out that Fat Rock had a co-worker who also drank Red Rose tea. She wanted to start a swap system. First one, the Labrador for the Budgie. Done. Now, instead of two Labradors (lame!) we have one Labrador and one Budgie. Today, we received the pony. Holy crap, a PONY. Every little girl’s dream. Who care’s that I’m almost 30. Santa finally answered my letter. I’ll name her Clip-Clop and brush her tail every day.

Em, sorry.

So, a pony. Coworker wants the duck in exchange. No way lady, only have one of those. How about a manatee? Those are out of production. And, you know, endangered. They need a good home. Or maybe a rooster?

It’s about this time that I realize that we are one step away from trolling flea markets and Ebay for these tiny figurines. As though our house isn’t already too cluttered with the accumulated detritus of two pack rats.

Ah well, at least the tea is good.


Lemur Queen

No comments: