Thursday, March 4, 2010

Averages

Sorry, been really busy lately. Been doing overtime for a good 3 weeks now. Wife's been working a lot. Sure, money's coming in, but I am getting run ragged. Makes me feel exhaused, and wonder how I'm doing in life. Every now and again I try to take stock of myself, and try to compare myself to others. I do this on many levels: work ethic, looks, weight, intelligence, wealth. I try to be good, or at least above average in a lot of stuff, I really do care put out a lot of effort.

Then today after work I was still in a philosophical mood, when it hit me: average.

Literally:

Average: (n) a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean: Her golf average is in the 90s. My average in science has gone from B to C this semester.

We, humanity are a great pool of possible metrics to be determined. There's a ton of us, all with different gifts and potential. I won't be the best at everything. Hell, I won't be in the top 20% in most things. The best I can do is try hard and stay off the bottom rung.

Sorry, just needed to let that out after 3 weeks of overtime, with a manager running after me waving his arms like he's shooing chickens.

Ok, back to work.

No comments: